Friday, January 15, 2010

First Playground "Incident"

Well, McKenzie had her first "playground" incident yesterday! It was my mom's birthday and so after we dropped Kenzie off at school the kids an I went to get doughnuts for her and her preschool class...a little birthday treat. So anyway, about 10 min after we got home from dropping the doughnuts off at my moms, I got a call from McKenzie's teacher saying that McKenzie hurt her nose at recess and it was really bad and she (the teacher) thinks it could even be broken and that she thought I needed to come pick her up. So, I load the kids in the car and head up to the school. I called the pediatrician on the way since if it was "really bad" I wanted to get it checked out, but I didn't know where to take her....if I should take her to the doctor, Instacare, or up to the ER where they could do X-rays. The doctors office wanted me to bring her up as soon as I could and said that if it was broken, the she would most likely need surgery! That was a lovely thought! So anyway, we get up to the doctors and he checks her out and he said she banged it up really good, but luckily, everything was still aligned and she could possibly have a little bone chip right where the cartilage meets the bone, but if she does, it should heal on its own, and just gave us a couple things to watch for over the next week or so as it heals. She has got some bruising across the bridge of her nose, right below eye level, and it is still really tender, but she is a trooper and has been really brave! From what I can understand of the story, she was on the toy at school and either stood up or bent down really fast and whacked her face right across the bridge of her nose. At least we have the first of the "playground incidents" behind us and luckily it wasn't as bad as I first imagined when her teacher described it over the phone!

3 comments:

Katie said...

:( That is so sad. I hope it just continues to feel better and better each day. Pictures?

Christy said...

Poor Kenzie! Hope it heals fast!!! I luckily haven't had to deal with any of my students and injuries on the playground yet!

Anonymous said...

That's good it wasn't serious. Madi's had 2 sets of stitches on her forehead already!!